1. Adagio ~ 10/10 The power in this song is amazing. I love the way that this song builds. It’s a beautiful song about searching for that one person that makes you complete. The lyrics are beautiful and the music is amazing.
2. Part of Me ~ 10/10 I love the mystery in this song. There are so many illusions and meanings behind the words that it can bring you different thoughts every time you listen to this song. What exactly is Lara getting at beyond the fact that whoever she is talking to really doesn’t understand her. I love the line “The darkest side withholds the light, the light that shines you can’t deny it.” What does this mean and what can be seen through this special line. This is a song that could be analyzed for years to come and we might never know what it’s about. A classic.
3. Giving Up On You ~ 10/10 This is a beautiful song about giving up on a relationship. It’s not the failure of the other person that this is happening but the fact that love is not there and the magic isn’t there anymore. It’s not about fighting for something but knowing when something isn’t right. Another classic.
4. You Are My Heart ~ 9/10 This song is about regrets after a relationship. She was with someone and didn’t know it then but now that she’s without him she realizes how much he meant to her. Lara’s voice is great on this song and the song is great. It just doesn’t have that extra amazement factor to me.
5. I Am Who I Am ~ 10/10 This is the first dance track on the album. Lara knows that to most people the music industry is a game but she’s not going to play it. The only person you’ll see in her is who she is. She’s telling the world not to try to trick her or play games with her because it’s not going to work, she’s exactly who she is. The track is great (some of the remixes are even better). The lyrics are great. It’s a statement for the world by Lara and she makes sure you hear it.
6. To Love Again ~ 7/10 This song was originally written and sung in French and I find that it just doesn’t flow that well. Lara’s voice is amazing on this one but the lyrics and music just don’t flow like the rest of the album.
7. You’re Not From Here ~ 10/10 This is one of those songs that will give you chills when you listen to it. Lara’s voice starts so fragile and misunderstanding. It’s like she knows a few things but really doesn’t understand what’s going on. I like how Lara’s voice makes two transitions during the song: first from fragile to powerful and second from misunderstanding to sure. Beyond the lyrics, the music, it’s Lara’s voice that gives you chills: the way she sings this song.
8. Till I Get Over You ~ 9/10 Another dance track. I love the way Lara sings this song because the song goes from being an ordinary dance track to a dance track with sass and emotion.
9. Love By Grace ~ 10/10 This song is one of Lara’s classics. The emotions she sings this song with are amazing. I don’t believe anyone could sing this song better because of the emotions that Lara brings to the song. It’s an amazing song made a classic by Lara’s performance.
10. Yeliel (My Angel) ~ 10/10 Ever felt like someone was watching over you through the people that were put into your life at certain times. That’s what this song is about. This song is calming (even in the hardest times). A classic.
11. I Will Love Again ~ 8/10 This is a powerful song about a promise to yourself that even though that relationship is over it’s not the end; you’re going to love again. She’s going to move and live a life totally committed to someone else. It’s a powerful song, but some of the remixes are even better.
12. Broken Vow ~ 10/10 This song is more than a classic. It’s one of those songs that will become a staple as far as songs go. It has the factors to become one of those songs that will be sung by all the greatest voices but in reality the likeliness of anyone matching Lara’s version is unlikely. A beautiful song about that other person leaving you for somebody else.
13. Adagio (Italian) ~ 10/10 It’s an amazing version. I like the flow of it better than the English version.
Bonus Tracks: Quedate ~ 9/10 Beautiful song. I love the smoothness of Lara’s voice on this track. It’s a great song.
Sola Otra Vez ~ 10/10 I love the softness of Lara’s voice at the start of this song and how it slowly gets more powerful. I think it’s a song that truly shows off the beauty of Lara’s voice. Absolutely beautiful.
Sin Ti ~ 10/10 My favourite of Lara’s Spanish tracks. I can feel the emotion in Lara’s voice in this track.
Otro Amor Vendra ~ 7/10 The Spanish version of I Will Love Again. There’s not much that separates the two versions, except I find that this one isn’t quite as powerful.
Otro Amor Vendra (Ballad Version) ~ 10/10 I love the way Lara turned a dance track into a beautiful ballad. This song proves Lara’s musical talent: as much as she’s a songwriter she saw through a dance track and saw the emotions of the lyrics and turned it into beautiful ballad. It’s often hard to get away from the original version of a song but she slowed it down and made it 10x better in the process.
Light of My Life ~ 10/10 This is a beautiful duet. Lara’s voice is great on this track. I love the arrangement of this song, it flows so well.
B-sides: Ivy ~ 10/10 Lara’s voice is showcased so beautifully in this song. It’s the feel of an intimate performance. The tribute to that person who is so beautiful to Lara is hauntingly beautiful.
Surrender to Me ~ 10/10 This would be my favourite of the b-sides. It’s a beautiful song about the falling apart of a relationship that neither person wants to end. I love the haunting and emotion in both voices.
Before We Say Good-bye ~ 10/10 I love the emotion that Lara sings this song with. Lara has such great instincts when it comes to the music and her vocals.
I Will Love Again (Ballad Version) ~ 10/10 I love the way Lara made this song into an emotional ballad. It's her genius at work.
Post by achebeautiful on Jul 9, 2006 19:21:33 GMT -5
Review of Lara Fabian (English)
1. Adagio ~10/10 One of my all-time favorite Lara songs! A classic!
“Before this light fades away Before I run out of faith Be the only man to say That you’ll hear my heart That you’ll give your life Forever you’ll stay”
“That you believe Make me believe You won’t let go”
…..set the stage for the songs that follow.
2. Part Of Me ~ 10/10 To me, this song is not all that mysterious. She is clearly saying that she is not willing to reveal herself to anyone except he who is deserving of her heart and soul. Many may come and try to win her over, but until she feels certain that the person is the one for her she will continue to “hide and lie, as true as can be.” I hope not to be offensive in any way, but it is kind of like sex. A woman wants to remain pure and is not willing to give her body to anyone except he who is the one for her. This will require someone that truly understands her needs as a woman. Someone who will give her wings to fly, room to grow, and space to breathe. It’s as if she is saying that she will not open her life up to anyone or allow them in to see the true self until that person has proven deserving of the key. “These arms are my heart” is an image of one who is covering her heart in defense and is not willing to open them.
3. Givin’ Up On You ~10/10 Great song! It’s a breakup song, but I absolutely love the attitude of it. You do not get a feeling of anger or hatred. Rather, there seems to be an admission on her part that the relationship is no longer worth fighting for on her part because he does not possess the love inside him to “stand beside her.” It seems that she has been trying to get to this point for some time, but he has remained “silent and quiet”, possibly not wanting to cause any hurt. But it’s past that point now for her. “Shadows stole the beat of their hearts” that were at the beginning of the relationship filled with “passion and truth.” She just wants him to admit it too, stating “just spit it out, I’m not afraid of the words that you hide.” And although she knows what has become of the relationship, she still questions “when did it start to fall apart?”
4. You Are My Heart ~ 8/10 This is an amazingly beautiful piece of songwriting. She’s reflecting on what she had with him and realizes just how much he meant to her! Songwriting like this leaves me shattered:
“Was I too proud or just too blind? What does it matter? When love was in these hands of mine I let it shatter The pieces scattered to the wind I’ll never have them here again But I’ll remember how we were The rest of time”
And to come to the knowledge that “I had to lose my soul to know How much you mean To me, you are my heart”
Well, that is just the definition of love and beauty breaking one’s heart!
5. I Am Who I Am ~10/10 Definitive Lara! This is the essence of the woman indeed. It’s in all of her songs, all of her performances, all the decisions she makes as a person. When Lara sets out towards something,
“There is no way (she) can love you with have of (her) heart It would tear (her) apart”
6. To Love Again (Si Tu M’Aimes) ~7/10 I love the lyrics of the song, and the power with which Lara sings it. I even love the sound of the song. The only downfall for me on this track is the pretentious sounding echo effect that was put into it. Lara is so real, and her voice needs no supporting technical help. So why add that effect into it? I think the song would have been better served, or at least more genuine, without it. That said, it’s still a cool song!
7. You’re Not From Here ~10/10 Incredible lyrics and beautifully sung! I really love the lyric:
“No one can hold the hands of time But I can hold you in my mind Over and over like a melody”
The way this song builds with power while remaining sensitive and beautiful is just amazing!
8. Till I Get Over You ~7/10 Amongst so many well written songs on the album, this one seems a little shallow to me. It’s placing, sandwiched between beautiful songs such as “You’re Not From Here” and “Love By Grace”, is a little curious to me as well. Stylistically, it is hard to believe that an album with a song like “Adagio” on it would also have this one. I think it would have made a better B-side.
9. Love By Grace ~10/10 (This is really unfair of me to do….but since Leona turned in her review first and I had a chance to read it, I cannot think of any better way to comment on this song than she already did! Very well stated Leona!)
10. Yeliel (My Angel) ~9/10 I absolutely love the gentleness that Lara applies to this song. It's great to give tribute to someone who brings so much wisdom, comfort and protection to your life!
11. I Will Love Again ~ 9/10 Although not one of my favorite styles, Lara really pulls it off well here. I love the message of this song. I prefer the ballad version, but this one projects the strength that I think Lara is trying to convey. It’s hard not to give credit to the song non- Lara fans are most familiar with!
12. Broken Vow ~10/10 Like “Walk Away” on AWL, this song is haunting in that it leaves you thinking of it long after you have listened. Very beautifully sung. Lara is amazing in putting the right touch on every single word of this song. The music is beautiful. This is another of my favorite of Lara’s songs.
13. Adagio (Italian) ~10/10 It’s amazing to me how beautiful this song is to me in a language I do not even understand! Incredible!
Overall: One of my favorite albums, and one that I listen to frequently. There are so many beautiful songs on this album, and mostly the lyrics are incredible!
Top Five Songs: 1. Adagio 2. Part Of Me 3. You’re Not From Here 4. Love By Grace 5. Broken Vow
This album is so dear to my heart. I was alone one evening (my three children were all away and living on a college campus – yes three kids in college at once - OYE) and the quiet was too much. While I was reading I decided to put the TV on for a little background noise. Little did I know what discovery was about to happen. I believe I posted this before so I won’t go into all the details again but I was stunned by the voice singing the last half of Adagio – From Lara With Love.
Adagio – This song is so beautiful and powerful. It is the first song (half song) I ever heard Lara sing. I could not believe what I was hearing. My favorite songs are power ballads - the more heart wrenching the better. My first impression was that this song was about love lost. After talking to a friend he explained he thought it was about the search/yearn for the perfect love that the singer/writer has not met yet. “I don’t know where to find you” “Within my heart and soul I wait for you”. “When the time is right I know you’ll be in my arms”. The combination of words, music and voice makes this song not only one of my favorites but a classic that will live on forever. And the breath at the end of the songs just adds to the perfection of this singer.
Part Of Me – This is a very interesting song. I agree with Leona I think this song is full of mystery. “The darkest side withholds the light, the light that brightens me inside.” Is she not responding to the other person? Is he the light that can not penetrate her? Why is she the darkest side that won’t let him be a part of her? Did he disappoint her in some way? Or is it she that disappointed him. “Angels don’t fly they have no wings. It is another of those things that we make up that we believe the real thing is not what we conceive”. Another mystery “these arms are my heart” is she opening her arms and heart to him? If so then why “I won’t let you see me, I will hide, I will lie”. I love the idea of this song, the beginning is great. But I am not thrilled with the ending. It’s a little too repetitious.
Givin’ Up On You – Very catchy tune. A reflection on a relationship gone stale. Someone tired of trying to make it work alone. How great is Lara as writer? “I can only look at you through the eyes you lied to”. It’s gone. The love, the passion is now gone. “Undo this leash you said I tied” (the blame starts). “Silence and quiet” relief it’s over. “Passion and truth” what was. “Shadows, only shadows” all that’s left are memories. And then the question what happened? Again great start but, to me, a weak ending. Love the whispering.
You are My Heart – I love this song. I guess I am a huge fan of Lara and Walter Afanasieff. Seems my favorite songs are theirs You are my Heart, You’re not From Here, Broken Vow and Walk Away. The music, Lara’s singing, the words are a perfect combination. Mark stated it perfectly, not much to add. “There’s nothing left to say. But when I dream I pray that life could be like yesterday”.
I Am Who I Am – Great beat. This is me don’t try to change me. “when you look in my eyes you get what you see” “you should know that I’m much deeper than that”. Plain and simple. To the point – don’t play games with me.
To Looooooooooooove Again – I love the music, the piano in the beginning and the guitar solo really add to this song. This song is sung with a lot of emotion. Lara really gets into it from the beginning sigh. “I see the rain in the sky and I see your face through every tear I cry. With every breath and every sound I can hear another voice and swear that you’re around”.
You’re Not From Here – This is my favorite English song of Lara’s. The music - great, the voice – perfection and the words congers up a full story for me. Love at first sight ”You turn around and touch my heart a silent moment speaks the truth” Can you just picture two sets of eyes meeting and the silent moment that follows, the electricity, the instant love “And so fear was gone I knew there was nothing else I’d ever want”. “You’re not from here” a love so strong and so deep above all else - like from another world, “to take my breath away, and make me weep, the greatness of your soul”. The music and Lara’s voice builds with the passion of the love. - Perfection. OYE I could go on for ever with this song.
Till I Get Over You – Lara with attitude. I think Sony made her do this song. I’m glad she didn’t write it. Not bad but not Lara.
Love By Grace – A beautiful haunting song. Although Lara didn’t write this song it is definitely a Lara song. Great voice and power. Again this song paint a clear picture.
Yeliel – A nice song. At first this was my least favorite song. Over time it has grown on me. I love "And when I fall I feel your arms around my destiny protecting me".
Can you tell I am getting tired of typing. The last few songs only a few lines.
I Will Love Again – Great music and beat. The sign of great song – it works as dance, remix, or ballad. As much as I am a heart breaking ballad junkie I wish Lara would do a “little” more of this style. She is very versatile.
Broken Vow – Great, back to heart wrenching. “Who lays with you at night while I’m here all alone. Tell me the words I never said. There’s more to life than only bitterness and lies. I’d give away my soul to hold you once again”. The music, the voice, the lyrics, the power. Lara and Walter. I would "give away my soul" for a whole album of Lara and Walter. I love this song it is perfection. I can not think of a better written or sung song. Bravo
Just a quick note about the Spanish songs. They are outstanding. My favorite is Sin Ti but I love them all.
I did not realize Light Of My Life, Ivy, Surrender To Me, and Before We Say Goodbye had anything to do with this album. They are all wonderful too.
Top five: You’re Not From Here Broken Vow Adagio Sin Ti You Are My Heart
After listening to "Part Of Me" again, I notice two more things.
First this is one of the few songs Lara does, since Lara Fabian (French), where there are instuments other that guitar, piano and drums - a sax I think. From LF (French) "Le Jour Ou Tu Partiras" come to mind (my favorite song from that album).
Second after the instrumental (with the sax) Lara sings "The darkest side withholds the light. The light that shines you can't deny". Hmmmmmm Confusing (mysterious) to me. Her darkest side withholds the light but there is a define light that shines (you can't deny)?? Can anyone explain?
Another discussion is Lara's three Spanish songs Quedate, Sola Otra Vez and Sin Ti. Leona gave a review and I just touched upon them. As with Leona, Sin Ti is my favorite Spanish song. As a matter of fact I would say it is in the top ten of my fav Lara songs (but that changes almost daily).
I love the piano at the beginning and it just gets better from there. I think it is one of the most emotional songs Lara sings, and one of her best sung songs. Lara's voice starts off so sweet and the song gradually builds. There's not too much power but just enough - perfect. Listen to the way Lara sings the word "Sin" the first two times at the beginning and the perfectly placed pauses during the song. Her breathing throughout the song just adds to the emotion and passion. And the ending, as the song began, sweet and soft.
Lara didn't write the song but the lyrics are definately her style. "Without a sip of your love getting me drunk. Without a kiss over the kiss I gave you. How to live without you."
Post by achebeautiful on Jul 18, 2006 15:24:52 GMT -5
I very much appreciate the 'mystery' that both Leona and Paula come away with from the song "Part Of Me." I do not see it as 'mysterious' at all, and so when I attempt to explain how I see the song it is with utmost respect for the views held by Leona and Paula. I in no way want to convince either of you otherwise from how you already feel about the song. That aspect of it, the 'mysterious', is what makes the song for both of you, and I prefer that it stay that way. That's the magic of good music and good songwriting. Although the artist may have specifically written the song with one thing in mind, the listener can come away from it with something totally different. The fact that a song can be written in a way that it relates to each of us in a different way, and yet can at the same time be personal and intimate, is what makes for really good art! So as you see it as 'mysterious' and I do not, please know that I appreciate and respect your interpretation of the song.
I also thank you both very much for sharing what it means to you. I have gained a much greater appreciation of the song itself from your observations.
It's my opinion that the song is simply saying that she is withholding her true self from allowing anyone else to see her until the right person comes along. When you look at her you will only see what she is willing to show you. She may even let on in appearance to be someone else completely removed from who she really is deep inside. So, when you look at her you see the darkness, or the 'self' that is covered in clouds so to speak. But the true self of who she is, the person that she hides from others, has a beauty that cannot be denied. That is the 'light.' As much as she may try to blanket herself from being revealed, that 'light' can only be hidden so much. You can be in a dark room, and it remains dark. But when you turn on the light the darkness leaves. Light always overcomes darkness.
When she speaks of:
"angels don't fly, they have no wings it is another of those things that we make up, that we believe the real thing is not what we conceive"
I gather that she is saying here that we in our humanity have no way to possibly imagine with our finite and limited minds the supernatural realm that exists. Angels do not really have wings, but it is an image that we have created for ourselves to better understand something that we cannot understand. The wings give for us the appearance of something supernatural, or otherworldly.
She does not mean to say that "the real thing is not what we conceive", but rather that "we cannot conceive of the real thing" and so we create an image to help us to better understand.
All this to possibly say that the person she is singing to cannot be trusted with knowing the true person that she is. He simply cannot conceive of the hidden beauty and wonder that lies within her, and so she will not reveal that part of herself to him.
That's why she says:
You just don't have what it would take to be a part of me."
Okay, that's what I get from it. What say you?
Last Edit: Jul 18, 2006 15:28:49 GMT -5 by achebeautiful
This is what I get from the song that makes it mysterious to me:
"Look in these eyes you'll see the dark That little space inside my heart The darkest side withholds the light The light that brightens me inside"
Just what is this darkness that Lara has inside? Is it from life experiences or something else?
"You don't know"
This says to me that she's telling the person that they don't know her. All that they see is an illusion of what is really there. But what is the illusion that they see and what they don't know. She doesn't say.
"Angels don't fly, they have no wings It is another of those things That we make up That we believe That real thing is not what we concieve"
To me this part is enforcing that this person truly doesn't know. This person sees an illusion of who she is. They make stuff up but that's not the real thing. The real thing is the mystery because she won't tell. They see something but it's not really there. But what is this something that's not really there? We don't know she doesn't tell us.
"You don't know I won't let you see me I will hide, I will lie As true as can be You just don't have What it would take To be a part of me"
To me this is her decision that she won't let the person understand the mystery. There's a part of me that you can't understand that she's not going to explain the mystery to them. She's still going to be true to herself but why should she waste the time making someone understand when they don't have what it takes to understand. But what is it that they don't understand? She doesn't say.
"The darkest side withholds the light The light that shines You can't deny it"
In the darkest of her heart there's a light that shines but this person doesn't see what cannot be denied. So she's not going to share it with them. She can't deny that the light is there in her heart but she won't let this person understand enough to see the light. What is this light from? What does it bring? That person will never know.
"These arms are my heart"
The people who don't have what it takes to understand her, she won't welcome into her world. She only welcomes those who have the understanding to figure out the mystery. Can you?
I find this song is much deeper and mysterious than Lara not letting a person see the real her. She uses metaphors and subtle lines to confuse and increase the mystery. Why doesn't this person have what it takes to be a part of her? Why doesn't she let them see her? That's the part I find mysterious. The clear message is that she won't let the person know.
It's very interesting. A well written song in which you can interpret different ways.
I can totally see what you are saying Mark. And it makes a lot of sense and I agree with you. But still, like Leona, I believe there is a lot of mystery in Part Of Me. It has an allure to it.
But, while re-reading the lyrics, to follow Mark's interpretation, I felt another feeling. Saddness overcame me, the darkest side, things that aren't what they seem or we believed, the need to hide and lie. There is a light that could brighten her but, that little space inside her heart won't let the light in. In the beginning Lara almost sings in a resigned sad way. She seems defeated. The wailing of the sax adds to this mood. Why don't angel fly or why don't they have wings? It seems she has given up on hope and/or dreams. And it's not just the angels "It's another of those things". More things that might have dissappointed her or caused her to stop believing. Maybe she really wants him to have what it takes.
Leona you are right when you said "it can bring you different thoughts every time you listen to this song".
Last Edit: Jul 19, 2006 22:08:25 GMT -5 by lapayin
Lara’s first English album is the best English one she’s made so far. But showing no disrespect to A Wonderful Life, her English debut is one of a kind. It is really sad when I see all the promotion videos, all the live performances and all the effort that went into this album and at the end it did not realize for her English career as Lara would have liked. Still I believe that she gained an enormous amount of experience with this album, something that’s only good for her future releases and you can already see that maturity in her second English release A Wonderful Life. There is a lot of high expectations for her next album due early next year, but I’m sure Lara will not disappoint her fans, she is a world class artist. Now a song-by-song analysis.
Adagio It is really hard to do a review on a song this great. The melody for this song was composed more than 300 years ago by Tomaso Albinoni, born in 1671 in Venice. This specific melody was lost during World War II with the bombing of the Dresden and the Dresden State Library. In 1945, Remo Giazotto, a Milanese musicologist traveled to Dresden to complete his biography of Albinoni and his listing of Albinoni's music. Among the ruins, he discovered a fragment of manuscript. Only the bass line and six bars of melody had survived, possibly from the slow movement of a Trio Sonata or Sonata da Chiesa. It was from this fragment that Giazotto reconstructed the now-famous Adagio, a piece which is instantly associated with Albinoni today, yet which ironically Albinoni would doubtless hardly recognize. You can read more about this at the following link. www.baroquemusic.org/bqxalb.html. It was always hard for me to understand why this song has always been so powerful to me. It has so much passion and now it makes even mores sense that the song delivers more power in Italian because the melody was composed by an Italian, performed 3 centuries later by one of the world’s best vocalists also with Italian blood running through her veins. The most impressive for me about this song is that a 300-year old melody sounds so modern and is so appealing to modern people.
If you listen close to Lara’s lyrics you will find pieces of the history of the melody, this is so amazing.
“Nothing more to explain, I know all that remain is a piano that plays”. I’m not a musician, but I guess the little piano part that plays when she sings this lyrical line is the six bars of melody that were found by Giazotto. If you look at the video you also understand why they used an opera stage, ancient statues and paintings. These statues and paintings come to life because people like Giazotto and Lara gave life to an old lost song.
But this is not the only meaning Adagio has. To be honest, the meaning of the lyrics can be never ending. There are two meanings that are portrayed very graphical by the lyrics. The first one is a desire for that special person in life that you still have to meet. You don’t know where to find that person, you don’t know how to reach that person, but you know that person exists you hear the person’s voice in the wind, you feel that person under your skin within your heart and your soul you wait for that person, you wait for an Adagio. I’m not sure when Lara and Rick started to have problems, but we all know how much Rick meant to her. I’m not going to go into Lara’s personal life, I have no right to, but the following lines might give us a clue:
“Be the only man to say That you believe, make me believe You won’t let go”
The second meaning relates to Lara’s desire to become a mother. When she sings “You’ll be in my arms “ on the video she holds her arms like when you would hold a baby. This song can also portray a mother’s desire to have or to see her son again.
I don’t know if any of you saw Lara’s performance on the Tout Lara Fabian Concert where she performed Adagio backed by a huge orchestra, I love orchestral music and this performance of Adagio is so beautiful that it really drives me to tears when I hear and see this performance. Magical music.
This song is so beautiful, filled with so much passion and glory, so much power and with such rich history that I can’t give it any other score than full marks. 10/10
Part Of Me There is so much of Lara in this song. Part Of Me has a lot in common with Unbreakable from her album A Wonderful Life. What we see on the outside is not what exists on the inside. It will take a very special person to be able to see the little space in your heart and you will only allow that special person to do that. This song speaks of people who think they know somebody, but really don’t have a clue what’s going on inside of you. Adagio a song that shows Lara opening up to her audience is followed up by a song that warns us, don’t think you know me because you don’t. Is this maybe also a song of warning to record companies: “Don’t change me or portray me as someone who I’m not.” I think Paula mentioned a while ago Lara’s use of the line “These arms are my heart” which was really interesting to me that her heart is Lara’s arms (weapons) but you can also see her heart as her arms, opening up or concealing her heart. Now think of this how can Lara’s heart be her weapon. It is her heart of gold that’s winning audiences and fans all over the world. This very weapon also hit me in the heart because I’m now hooked on this woman’s music. Don’t you just love her use of metaphors? Lara seems to love repetition of lyrics and most of the times at the ending. A lot of her songs have this characteristic. This may not be appealing to everyone, but I believe this is Lara’s way of emphasizing a part of a song that’s very important to her. 8/10
Givin Up On You This is amazing. Three songs in a row that are all about love. This song was also featured in Dawson’s Creek I believe. Lara really rocked the world with her music, influencing both the music and movie industry. This song has some very striking lyrics and the central theme of the song I believe is something that we all want in our relationships, honesty. No one wants to be kept in the dark or being held on a thin line. Be honest from the start or I will give up on you. I’m not going to waste my time. I think this is the message Lara wants to bring home to her audience with this song. 8/10
You Are My Heart Did I say three. Lets make that four love songs. I love the use of the piano in this song. It sets the mood for the song beautifully. The song speaks of being hopelessly in love with someone, loosing your heart on someone else and being hopelessly lost when you loose that person. Lara’s songs are so relevant to our lives, it is so amazing to experience her music. Powerful lyrics combined with powerful musical excellence. I love her performance of this song with Dorian Sherwood on the stage of Baden Baden. I wish Lara and Dorian can make more duets together. 8/10
I Am Who I Am Like Lara said so many times. If this album wasn’t self titled then this would have been the title of the album. I love the Spanish sounds (especially the guitar) used in this song, Lara makes great Spanish songs. I also like Lara’s “bad-ass” attitude with this song. I’m glad Lara sticks to what she says and that she does not change just to make other people happy. This shows that Lara has true character and makes her music so much more authentic. She plays no games with her audience, what you see is what you get, nothing more nothing less. This song is a smashing hit, the anthem of this album, but also the anthem of Lara’s life and all her music. This was the message she wanted to send to the world when she made this album and I believe that message came through very good, I believe that if it didn’t she would have had several more English albums by now, but albums what would not have contained any Lara. Super score 10/10.
PS. Isn’t Lara just gorgeous in the music video?
To Love Again I just love it when Lara ports her French music to English and sometimes she does a great job with the contents of the original song, translating it with almost the same meaning to English. It is always nice to see that my favorite musician also went trough the same pain and sorrow that I also went through in my life. When you long so much for someone, that person being in your thoughts the whole day, every moment but so far out of reach, framed against the sky and you are longing for the day to love again. A very powerful song. 9/10
You’re Not From Here This is a song that is not from here. I love the use of the wider range of music instruments used in this song, Guitar, piano, violins, it sounds like there is a whole orchestra playing the music. This music is so beautiful when the song reaches its climax near the end, that it gives you goose bumps all over your body. The music is complemented by wonderful and powerful lyrics. It is amazing to see how much power and passion is present in this album. The songs are so strong so true so sincere and You’re Not From Here is no exception. Superb song 10/10.
Till I Get Over You The order of the songs on this album is very carefully selected. Just when you feel that you hade enough of serious and deep songs, Lara throws this funky song in between just to give you a little break from the ballads and powerful songs. If you listen to the lyrics you find it strange that Lara used a very up-beat melody for a song that portrays pain and hurt. But I guess Lara wants to show us with this that you need to stay strong during tough times like a love disappointment because you will make it. 9/10.
Love By Grace After the quick break of the previous song, we’re back the power ballads and passionate songs. Love By Grace also has so much classical elements to it, the piano and violins creating the right mood for a lovely song with superb lyrical contents. The song speaks of the guilt you most of the times have when you realize you made a mistake but that it is too late to repair the damage. The car that could not be turned around speaks of the doubt but also speaks of your own pride being too important instead of swallowing your pride and saving something that is worth it. The phone booth that could not be found portrays the guilty feelings and the disappointment when you realize that it is all too late to turn around now.
“I didn’t come here to lose”
This lyrical line can be interpreted in two ways, losing the person in question or your pride being the most important again and you don’t want to be the one to give in. And this is the attitude sometimes of both parties. It is so useless to be like this, if people just can learn to be to least at times we will have less problems in this world. So some love, love by grace. 10/10.
Yeliel (My Angel) Lara spoke about this song on her PBS special. An angel materialized through another human being who tells you this isn’t right or you should not be doing that. She mentioned in a biographical interview that Rick Allison has been like a big brother to her telling her when she does something wrong or when something isn’t right. I guess that this song is dedicated to Rick, Lara’s angel in life, that person who protected her through her life and her career.
“Why do I love Why do I hate and die Where do these things all lie I don’t know why I cry”
I never thought about these things because I know God is the provider of everything, but it is interesting to think why do we experience these emotions.
This is a very lovely song. A lot of truth contained within it. 8/10
I Will Love Again Although it was The Last Goodbye that really introduced me to Lara’s music, it was this song that really pushed me to find out more about this lovely voice. I had songs like Humana and a couple of other songs, I can’t really remember before I discovered this one, but once I listened to this one I was totally hooked on Lara’s music, it is a nice song to use to introduce someone to Lara’s music, or just mention the artist who sings I Will Love Again to a non-fan and they will know who you are talking about. This is not my favorite song because it has been on the Top-10 music charts and because it is a true pop and dance song. It is not my favorite because it’s the only song they play on radio here in South Africa. To be honest, I can’t really explain why this song is my favorite song, it is more of a chemical thing than anything else. This song just pushes the right buttons, all the versions, remixes and ballads. I guess one of the reasons might be the fact that you can do so many things with this song like you can see with all the different versions of it. I love this song so much that I compiled my own remix version of the music video (the one with the elevator and music club). I even assigned an instrumental version of the song as the ring tone to my mobile phone.
Ok back to the song itself. I love it to watch Lara perform the song live, because she gives so much meaning to it when you see her dance all over the place while performing the song. She performs the song with so much joy and passion that you can’t help falling in love with her music. To Love Again, Till I Get Over You and I Will Love Again have all the same meaning. Loosing love but looking forward to find new love and not to look back. I love this song so much that I there is no score that can indicate its success for me, so I’ll give it 20/10
PS. Strange that my favorite song performed by Lara is one that she did not write herself. But that is maybe why I can say it is my favorite, because it is way too hard to choose a favorite from the songs written by her.
Broken Vow Who heard Josh Groban perform this song? I wish that Josh and Lara can make some music together some time, they will make a good team. Every time Lara writes with Walter Alfanasieff we get a masterpiece. Broken Vow is one of them. I enjoyed the performance of Broken Vow on From Lara With Love very much. Again the orchestra and Lara’s magical voice makes a perfect combination. She should do more songs with choirs and orchestras in the background. Lara sums it up pretty nice when she says the song is about betrayal and forgiveness I once wondered where does the song speaks of forgiveness but then I found the following verse:
“I close my eyes And dream of you and I And then I realize There is more to life than only bitterness and lies I close my eyes
I’d give away my soul To hold you once again And never let this promise end”
I believe Lara realizes what it means to give your soul away. Your soul belongs to God and to abandon that for someone else is the ultimate but a very dreadful price to pay. But this is just a way to illustrate how important this person was in her life.
This is a wonderful song to conclude a wonderful album 10/10.
There is so much more to say about this album and I will post my thoughts as I remember what I wanted to say, things had been a bit rough and I forgot most of my ideas by now. This is great album and I give it an overall 9/10. Lara started her music and European career with a self-titled album and see where that career is now. She started her English career with a smashing album. I’m sure there is still a great English future laying ahead for our wonder girl.
I’d like to conclude my review with a quote from her Thanks section in the album booklet that really moved me:
“TO RICK ALLISON: Vita, if I had to give a name to this story, I would call it “A Passion For Passion.” You are IT: you are my music forever. I love you. (Did you notice you come right after God?)”
Lara said in one of her interviews that Rick told her when they did this record that they will go to Paris and just kick the Eiffel Tower and make this happen and they will go to the States and kick the Statue of Liberty and make this happen and that was the most important thing to Lara. Rick has been a great motivation and mentor in her career. Many people don’t feel the same but I’m really sad that their roads separated from each other.
I posted my review before I read any of your reviews. It is interesting to see now that I've read the other that we agree on a lot of things, but that I have very different views on some of the songs. This creates posibilities for many different discussions
Last Edit: Jul 22, 2006 13:50:47 GMT -5 by cppgenius
I Am Who I Am ------------------------------------------------